Welcome to Cornish, New Hampshire
Celebrating 250 Years 1763-2013
The Official Town Web Site
Cornish won the a New Hampshire Arborists Association Community Beautification Award.
NH Internet Awards – This site won Honorable Mention in government Web site category.
Established in 1763, the town was once known as Mast Camp, because it was the shipping point for the tall masts floated down the river by English settlers. Incorporated in 1765 by Colonial Governor Benning Wentworth, it was named for Sir Samuel Cornish, a distinguished vice-admiral of the Royal Navy.
Cornish celebrates summer with its annual Cornish Fair, held each year the third weekend in August.
Cornish also became a well-known summer resort for artists and writers. Seeking a studio away from the summer heat of New York City, sculptor Augustus Saint-Gaudens began coming to Cornish in 1885. Artist friends followed him, transforming the area into a popular artists’ colony.Saint-Gaudens National Historic Site in Cornish is at his former home and studio, and hosts summer concerts as well as ongoing exhibits.
Cornish is the site of the longest two-span covered bridge in the world. The Cornish-Windsor Covered Bridge, which spans the Connecticut River was built in 1866 at an original cost of $9,000. It was re-built in 1988 at a cost in excess of $4,000,000. It was the longest covered bridge in the United States until 2008 when the Smolen-Gulf Bridge was opened in Ohio. That bridge is a 4-span covered bridge. The Cornish-Windsor Covered Bridge has the longest single covered span (204 feet) still carrying daily automobile traffic. It has been designated a “National Civil Engineering Landmark” by the American Society of Civil Engineers.
Cornish Town Offices
488 Town House Road, Cornish, NH 03745